Articles Posted in Catholic Church

The Eagle Tribune reports that defrocked and formerly jailed ex-priest Ronald Paquin, who was assigned to parishes in Haverhill and Methuen, will be held without bail on a fugitive from justice charge until late next week.

Paquin, 74, was arrested on Wednesday in Boston after a grand jury in York County, Maine, handed down an indictment on 29 new sexual abuse and misconduct charges against him.

Friday at his arraignment in Roxbury District Court, Paquin was held without bail and waived rendition proceedings.

The Salem News reports that a former Catholic priest who was at the center of the Boston Archdiocese sex scandal in 2002 is facing new charges of sexual abuse in Maine that date back to the 1980s.

On Monday, a grand jury in Maine indicted former priest Ronald Paquin, 74, of Massachusetts on 29 counts of gross sexual misconduct, said Craig Sanford, police chief in Kennebunkport, Maine.

Sanford said the criminal acts took place in the late 1980s at seasonal locations in Kennebunkport. The victims, both males, were 11 and 14 when Paquin began abusing them, police said.

Former Bishop Thomas Dupre, the first Roman Catholic bishop in the United States to be indicted on a sexual-abuse claim during the flood of abuse accusations against church officials, has died. He was 83, the Diocese of Springfield (Massachusetts) said. He died outside the diocese, but the location and the cause of his death weren’t disclosed.

Dupre, who became bishop in the mid-1990s, cited health reasons for his sudden retirement in 2004. Months later he was indicted on charges he raped two boys in the 1970s, but the case was dropped because prosecutors determined the statute of limitations had expired.

Before Dupre became bishop he had been an aide of Bishop Joseph Maguire, who led the diocese from 1977 to 1992 and faced allegations after retirement that clergy sex abuse and a cover-up had happened on his watch.

A former high-ranking member of a Roman Catholic religious order has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison for raping a boy at a Massachusetts summer camp in the 1980s.

The Rev. Richard McCormick, of New York, was also sentenced last week in Lawrence Superior Court to 10 years of probation.

The 73-year-old former member Salesian Society of North America was convicted Nov. 12 of five counts of child rape that prosecutors said occurred between 1981 and 1982 at a youth camp in Ipswich run by the order.

A former Roman Catholic priest has settled a lawsuit alleging that he later sexually abused a 14-year-old student student in New York and Boston, the former student’s attorney said Wednesday, as reported by the Times-Picayune and nola.com.

Sean Leo Rooney served on the faculty at Archbishop Shaw High School from 1975 until 1979.

The lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian of Boston, said the former student disclosed Rooney’s abuse in August 2012. The acts occurred in Boston and New York. Rooney was a teacher at Goshen Junior Seminary in New York from 1979 through 1981, where he befriended the boy and encouraged the youth’s interest in photography, Garabedian said.

A Roman Catholic priest suspended a year ago after he was accused of child sexual abuse has been reinstated after the allegation was found to be unsubstantiated.

The Boston Archdiocese announced Thursday that the Rev. Joseph Byrne has returned to ministry and been granted senior priest status.

Byrne was suspended last May after the Archdiocese received an allegation of sexual abuse of a minor that was alleged to have occurred in the 1970s. It was reported to law enforcement.

A Massachusetts priest who was charged for alleged repeated sexual assaults on a child who was a former parishioner has died, officials said.

The Rev. Paul LaCharite, formerly of St. James Episcopal Church in Somerville, died of an apparent drug overdose, the Boston Herald reported.

LaCharite was charged with one count of assault to rape a child, and three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14, the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office said.

The Associated Press reports that a lawyer for clergy sex abuse victims released six new names of clerics accused of abuse, saying that it shows that a crisis that began a decade ago is far from over. One of the priests is the Rev. James Nickel, a Sacred Heart priest who worked in Fairhaven and Cape Cod parishes in the Fall River diocese.

One of the men, who served in New Jersey, is alive. The other five, who served in various Northeast states, are dead, including two who were priests in the Boston Archdiocese.

One of the Boston priests, the Rev. James Lane, reported the notorious abuser John Geoghan to church leaders during the 1980s.

At a news conference, Attorney Mitchell Garabedian singled out the Boston Archdiocese for not disclosing its names first.

“We’re doing their work for them by exposing these priests so children can be made safer and victims can heal,” Garabedian said.

Terry Donilon, a spokesman for the archdiocese, said Lane and the Rev. Rickard O’Donovan will be added to its list of priests who’ve been accused of child sex abuse, which was posted online in August.

But Donilon told the AP that the archdiocese was unable to substantiate the accusations against Lane and O’Donovan because they died before the accusations surfaced.

“Every effort is made to fully investigate such claims, but without the ability to question the accused priest, the investigation is limited,” he said.

He added the archdiocese will “continue to provide support to survivors and all people who have suffered as a result of clergy sexual abuse.”

The clergy sex abuse crisis started in 2002 in Boston and eventually went global after The Boston Globe published stories showing church officials shifted pedophile priests between parishes while keeping quiet about their crimes.

In Garabedian’s updated list, the three other deceased clerics who worked in Massachusetts were: Nickel; Brother Peter-Claver, of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart order, who worked at schools in Sharon and Andover, as well as schools in Rhode Island and New Hampshire; and the Rev. Leonard Walsh, a Franciscan who worked in Brookline after postings in New Jersey, New York and Connecticut.

The living cleric is the Rev. Augustus Scott. He was a priest of the Order of Friars Minor Conventual working in the Camden, N.J., diocese during the time the abuse is alleged to have occurred between 1969 and 1970. Garabedian said Scott fondled his 16-year-old client several times in Scott’s car. He said Scott now lives in North Carolina.

The AP’s attempt to reach Scott by searching phone listings was unsuccessful. A spokesman for the Camden diocese said Scott is not an active priest and he doesn’t know where he is.
Continue reading