Bill Cosby has sued seven women who have accused him of sexually assaulting them, claiming that they defamed his character and purposefully derailed an upcoming television opportunity.
Cosby is suing Tamara Green, Therese Serignese, Linda Traitz, Louisa Moritz, Barbara Bowman, Joan Tarshis, and Angela Leslie — seven of more than 50 women who have accused Cosby of sexual misconduct or assault dating back to the 1960s.
In the suit, which was filed in the U.S. District Court in Massachusetts on Monday, Cosby denies ever drugging or sexually assaulting any of the seven women listed in his counter claim.
Four more women are planning to join a federal lawsuit against Bill Cosby, claiming the comedian sexually abused them and later defamed them by letting his representatives publicly label their stories lies.
Cosby’s lawyers were expected to file a response Friday to a defamation lawsuit filed last year in federal court in Massachusetts. Instead, a lawyer for three already named plaintiffs in the lawsuit filed a notice saying four new plaintiffs will be added. The amended suit is expected to be filed Friday.
The notice said both sides agree that all seven women will take a single deposition from Cosby.
A Ludlow woman who successfully pushed for new legislation extending the statute of limitations for alleged victims of childhood sexual abuse to file lawsuits will get her day in court.
Kathy Picard, 52, has said previously she worked for 12 years to push a new bill extending the deadline for alleged victims to sue. The law changed the deadline from age 21 to 53. The bill was signed by former Gov. Deval L. Patrick on June 26, 2014, with Picard present.
The same day, she filed a $1 million lawsuit in U.S. District Court against her stepfather. A trial is imminent.
A former youth hockey coach accused of sexually assaulting one of his young players in the 1990s pleaded not guilty in Suffolk Superior Court to the charges against him, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.
Robert Richardson, 61, of Dorchester, was indicted on three counts of child rape, authorities said. The alleged abuse began in 1991 when Richardson gave the victim, then 13, a spot on the team he coached, according to the DA’s office. He later had the teenager spend a few nights a week at his home, which is where the sexual abuse took place, authorities said.
While in his teens, the victim reported the abuse to a family member and told his high school hockey coach that he was not comfortable working with Richardson, though he did not say why, according to the DA’s office. The coach dismissed Richardson from his position with the team at that time, authorities said. The victim reported the abuse to police last year.
Help is on the way for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.
Nearly one in six Massachusetts women has experienced rape or sexual assault in their lifetime. That’s why Governor Charlie Baker is re-launching a council to tackle sexual assault and domestic violence in the state.
The group will focus on implementing the law put in place last year that guarantees work leave and housing opportunities for victims. The council will be led by Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito.
A Massachusetts court officer has been held on a $50,000 bail after he was accused of sexually assaulting a female prisoner on multiple occasions while escorting her through Lawrence District Court.
Jose Martinez was arraigned at Essex Superior Court in Salem on four counts of rape, six counts of indecent assault and battery, and single counts of assault with intent to rape as well as misleading investigators, according to the Suffolk District Attorney’s Office.
Prosecutors say Martinez raped the victim in a holding cell, a prisoner elevator, and a stairwell at the courthouse on three separate occasions in 2009 and 2014 while the she was in custody on drug and fugitive from justice charges.
A foreman with the Wayland Department of Public Works is facing child rape charges for reportedly assaulting a girl several times beginning when she was 5 years old, the Middlesex district attorney’s office said, as reported by the Boston Globe.
Donald Gladu, 59, of Framingham, raped the girl multiple times between 1998 and 2006, District Attorney Marian T. Ryan’s office said in a statement.
Gladu was arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court on four counts of rape of a child by force and two counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14, according to Ryan’s office.
The Boston Globe reports that a serial rapist, whose crimes date back over 40 years, is likely to spend the rest of his life in prison after he was sentenced as a repeat sexual offender, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Westley Cain, 65, of Dorchester was found guilty of two charges in Suffolk Superior Court. Judge Charles Hely sentenced Cain to 15 years to life for his conviction of rape as a subsequent offense and a concurrent mandatory maximum sentence of 20 years for his conviction of rape as a habitual offender.
“Life imprisonment is the only appropriate sentence for this defendant,” Conley said in a statement. “He is a dangerous serial predator, and our city is safer with him behind bars for good.”